January 2024 Minutes

Langworth Group Parish Council   
Serving the grouped parishes of Barlings, Newball, Stainton by Langworth and Reasby
E:mail: langworthgroupparishcouncil@gmail.com
Minutes of the Meeting of Langworth Group Parish Council held at
Langworth Memorial Hall at 7.30pm on Tuesday 9 January 2024
Present:  Cllrs M Herbert (Chairman), K Tyrrell, R Waite, A Curtis, A Hyatt, S Taylor, P Bowser, C/Cllr I Fleetwood, D/Cllr C Darcel, Mrs M Vail (Clerk). There was one member of the public.
Meeting began at 7.31pm
1. Public Forum: The resident spoke about flooding matters.  He advised of concerns that issues being raised with the various authorities were not being addressed, nor did it appear that these issues were being taken seriously.  He noted the ongoing grief being experienced by residents.
It was noted that the Parish Council is continuing to pressurise the various authorities; and that a letter is being sent to WLDC’s Head of Planning in respect of flooding concerns with the Fosters Yard development.  The Parish Council’s next steps will be informed by feedback received from the authorities. 
C/Cllr I Fleetwood advised that he has been visiting, and will continue to visit, the various sites of flooding across the local area.  He will continue to chase matters with the relevant authorities.
The resident and C/Cllr I Fleetwood then left the meeting at 7.51pm.  Before he left, C/Cllr I Fleetwood advised that the damaged speed indicator device will be repaired imminently.
2. Apologies: Cllr J Machin, Cllr H Stilgoe-McCombe, D/Cllr M Palmer
3. Declarations of Interest: None.
4. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 5 December 2023:
With a minor amendment to item 9a, RESOLVED to approve the minutes of the meeting held on 5th December 2023 as a true record, and these were duly signed. Action: Clerk.
Proposed: Cllr K Tyrrell, seconded: Cllr P Bowser.  All in favour.
5. Comments from County Councillor, District Councillors and Chairman
C/Cllr I Fleetwood: comments were made within the Public Forum.
D/Cllr C Darcel: 
o a report on flooding, authored by D/Cllr C Darcel, has been circulated to all.  The local branch of the National Farmers Union is to send the report to the relevant Secretary of State.  It is hoped that comments within the report will be taken onboard.
o spoke on flooding matters relating to the caravan site, which he will investigate.
o noted that there should be a footpath running from the caravan site to Barlings Lane, and that he will investigate the absence of this path.
Chairman: nothing to report.
6. Clerks Report
a) Receive the financial report: Received.
RESOLVED to approve the financial report. Action: Clerk 
Proposed: Cllr K Tyrrell, seconded: Cllr S Taylor.  All in favour.  
(Note: approval to pay all regular accounts was made at the May 2023 meeting).
b) Approve any non-regular payments: None to pay.
7. Grass cutting
a) Approve grass cutting quote for 2024 season:
b) Consider comparison tenders every 3 to 5 years:
              Of six companies approached to quote, only two had responded. It was noted that it would cost extra for the
              removal and disposal of grass clippings, and for edging work.  Following consideration, it was RESOLVED to
              appoint Glendale, and that they be asked if they can offer a 3-year agreement.  If they cannot, then the 
             1-year quote will be accepted for the 2024 season at £5254.00 + VAT. Action: Clerk
Proposed: Cllr M Herbert seconded: Cllr A Curtis.  All in favour.  
Noted that grass has encroached onto footpaths at some locations.  Action:  Cllr M Herbert to contact LCC.
D/Cllr C Darcel left the meeting at 8.13pm.
8. To set the budget for the year 1/4/24 to 31/3/25:
A draft budget had been circulated. Noted that WLDC is proposing to raise its budget by 2.99%. 
After consideration, 
RESOLVED to increase the current 2023/24 budget of £31,790.00, by 3% to £32,744.00 for 2024/25.
Proposed: Cllr A Hyatt seconded: Cllr P Bowser.  All in favour.  Action: Clerk
9. To set the final precept for the year 1/4/24 to 31/3/25:
RESOLVED to set the final precept figure at £32,744.00.   Action: Clerk to submit this final figure to WLDC.
Proposed: Cllr A Hyatt seconded: Cllr P Bowser.  All in favour.  
10.  Date of the next meeting: Tuesday 6th February 2024, 7.30pm, Memorial Hall 
Meeting ended at 8.25pm.
Michelle Vail – Clerk/RFO to the Council                                                  Dated: 11 January 2024


LANGWORTH GPC - BANK RECONCILIATION 1st Dec - 31st Dec 2023                                                                              

CURRENT ACCOUNT                                                                  

01/12/2023, OPENING BALANCE, £2568.53   

14/12/2023, Transfer in from deposit account, £2000.00          

14/12/2023, Langworth Memorial Hall, room hire/play area lease, £305.00    

14/12/2023, M Vail, expenses, £40.20

14/12/2023, LALC, £30.00        

18/12/2023, Sage, £9.60            

19/12/2023, HMRC – PAYE, £234.02    

19/12/2023, LCC Pension, £385.82      

19/12/2023, M Vail, salary inc pay rise back pay, £1082.62      




DEPOSIT ACCOUNT                                                                     

01/12/2023, OPENING BALANCE, £49,846.38

11/12/2023, Interest, £ 57.31   

14/12/2023, Transfer out to current account, £2000.00             

CLOSING BALANCE, £47,903.69          


Non-regular Accounts for Payment in January                                                                                


                                TOTAL                                   0.00      


Ear Marked Reserves                                                                                   

Elections reserve, £4,000.00                                   

CIL monies, £2,655.40                                

Total, ££6,655.40